Sexual Harassment Law Claims

How to report sexual harassment in workplace in California?

Reporting sexual harassment in the workplace is an important step to address and stop such behavior. In California, there are specific procedures you can follow to report sexual harassment. Keep in mind that I am not a legal expert, and you may want to consult with an employment attorney for advice tailored to your situation. However, here are general steps you can take:

  1. Review your company’s policies: Familiarize yourself with your company’s policies on sexual harassment. This information is often found in the employee handbook or other workplace documentation.
  2. Document the incidents: Keep a detailed record of each incident, including dates, times, locations, people involved, and any witnesses. Document what was said or done and how it made you feel. This documentation can be crucial if you decide to pursue legal action.
  3. Speak with the harasser: If you feel comfortable and safe doing so, consider letting the harasser know that their behavior is unwelcome and making you uncomfortable. Sometimes, people may not be aware of the impact of their actions.
  4. Report to your supervisor or manager: If the harassment continues, report the incidents to your supervisor or manager, following your company’s established reporting procedures. Provide them with the documentation you have gathered. If your supervisor is the harasser, report to a higher-level manager or someone in HR.



5. Contact your company’s HR department: If reporting to your immediate supervisor is not appropriate or doesn’t resolve the issue, contact your company’s Human Resources department. They are trained to handle such matters and can guide you through the process.

6.  File a formal complaint: If internal reporting does not resolve the issue, you may need to file a formal complaint with your company. This often involves submitting a written statement detailing the incidents and the steps you’ve taken to address the situation.

7. Contact the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH): If your employer does not address the issue or if you believe the response is inadequate, you can file a complaint with the DFEH. They are responsible for enforcing California’s workplace discrimination and harassment laws.

8. Consult an attorney: If your concerns are not adequately addressed, you may want to consult with an employment attorney to explore your legal options.

Remember, it’s crucial to prioritize your safety and well-being throughout this process. If you ever feel in immediate danger, contact local law enforcement. Additionally, seeking support from friends, family, or counseling services can be helpful during this challenging time.


“CALL NOW” for a Free Consultation


Discuss Your Case! FREE Evaluation